Diamonds are incredible precious stones that are found deep within the core of the Earth. They are formed over millions and years and can be used in everything from jewellery throughto medical equipment. They can be cleaned effectively by using a Large Ultrasonic Cleaner like the ones available from www.hilsonic.co.uk/. These cleaners are perfect for cleaning items that are oddly shaped or that are intricate in design.
Here are some interesting facts about diamonds that you might not be aware of.
- Among all the natural substances on earth, diamonds have the highest degree of hardness. It has been said that a diamond cannot be scratched except by another diamond! Diamonds are made up of only one element. This element is Carbon.
- A diamond is formed approximately 100 miles below the surface of the earth and is brought to the surface by volcanic activity in what is known as Kimberlite Pipes.
- In addition to the colours of the rainbow, diamonds are found in every shape and size. Blue, green, orange, and red are the most rare colours of natural diamonds.
- It is from the Greek word “Adamas” that the word diamond is derived. This word means indestructible or invincible.
- Diamonds were regarded as sacred objects by many ancient cultures. The wearing of diamonds was believed by some to provide their wearers with courage and strength during battle. It used to be believed that diamonds had healing properties during the Middle Ages.
- The world’s largest rough diamond was found in 1905, making it the largest diamond in history. This diamond was called the Cullinan diamond and weighed 3,106 carats. In a later stage, the stone was cut into many diamonds, nine large diamonds and 100 smaller diamonds.
- In the past, most of the diamonds found in the world were found in India, dating back to the 18th century.There have been several changes in the primary source of diamonds in the world over the years. In the present day, diamonds are found in many countries all over the world.